We all know how important it is to display share counts for your content to establish social proof and credibility. It makes a HUGE difference.
For a while now, as part of share buttons, we have enabled you to display your official share counts on your site from services like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Delicious. But what about other popular services?
You asked. We listened!
By popular request, this week we’re proud to announce share counts support for a host of additional services, including for Google+, Reddit, StumbleUpon, VK, and Buffer! This is in addition to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn and Delicious.
Note: By integrating official share count APIs and server-side APIs provided by Facebook, Pinterest, etc. as the solution, we are able to display incredibly accurate share counts for your content, regardless of whether you’re a new user, existing publisher or a site owner ready to switch to our fast, free and reliable tools.
Steps to get started:
Here are a few steps that’ll help you turn on share counts for all of your favorite social networks.
- Make sure you have the latest version of Shareaholic for WordPress (126.96.36.199 or higher) or Shareaholic for Drupal. If you don’t, be sure to update to the latest version.
- Log into your dashboard, locate Shareaholic and click “Advanced Settings”.
- After you arrive at the Advanced Settings page, look under “Server Connectivity” and make sure it reads, “Server-side Share Counts API is reachable”. If all is good, skip step 4 and advance to step 5. If that’s not the case, you may see this error message:
- If you’ve encountered an error message, wait a few minutes, then hit the “Re-check” link. Try this a few times; hopefully, the issue will resolve itself. If not, then follow the instructions in the error message. We’ll work with you one-on-one to resolve the problem.
- Under the “Advanced” section, uncheck the box that reads “Disable server-side Share Counts API” to enable share counts for all of your favorite social sites.
- Finally, hit “Save Changes” and show the world that people love your content.
By the way, if you run into problems with installation, updating the plugin or have any questions, check out our helpdesk, drop a message and we’ll get back to you lickedy-split.
Also, due to technical constraints, share counts for certain services (ex. G+, StumbleUpon, Reddit, Buffer) are only supported by the server-side Share Counts API which is currently only available to WordPress plugin users and Drupal module users.